Unnat Bharat Abiyan
Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’s mission is to enable participating higher education institutions to work with rural India to identify challenges to develop appropriate solutions to accelerate sustainable growth. It also aims to create a good cycle between society and a comprehensive education system by educating and practicing for emerging professions and enhancing the ability of the public and private sectors to respond to the needs in the development of rural India
Under the UBA program, all Participating Institutes are adopting a cluster of five villages in consultation with Districts Collectors. Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital Pondicherry is also adopting a cluster of villages namely (1) Narambai, (2) Nallavadu, (3) Moorthikuppam, (4)) Manapet and (5) Pudhukuppam, in Pondicherry District. Dr. D. Arunachalam (Nodal officer), Dr. G. Muthamilselvi (Chief Program Coordinator) and Dr. Anandbabu, (Assistant Professor), Mrs. Angeline Jenefer, (Lecture) are the Project Coordinators from Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital Pondicherry for this cluster of villages from Pondicherry.
A village development plan (VDP) is a plan outlining the desired developments according to the inhabitants – for the quality of life within the village and in the immediate surroundings. A VDP Identifies issues affecting the community – social, environmental and economic. It’s a statement about how a community sees itself developing over the next few years and what actions are needed to realize that vision.
Based on the preliminary interactions with the villagers and the district administration, the objectives of the work to be carried out by the Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital Pondicherry team in this village was defined as follows:
- To decrease female illiteracy
- To use these groups as a platform for generating awareness of social issues
- To motivate women empowerment to improve basic sanitation
- To impart skills to the target beneficiaries.
- Enhancement of awareness of social issues
- To develop a holistic, integrated development for sustainable village development using environmentally-friendly sustainable technologies and local resources.
- Empower women by actively participating in decision-making, increasing income and access to resources.
In order to meet these objectives, an overall integrated approach is required along with the quality input from various experts from different fields of knowledge. The steps involved in the same can be enumerated as follows:
- Identification of the areas in which Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital can provide technical inputs along with the key experts who will be part of the team.
- To conduct the primary survey (Village level survey, Household Survey) and collection of secondary information required for preparation of the plan followed by analysis of data.
- Mobilization: Reach out to the potential beneficiaries through mobilization and outreach initiatives encouraging women and girls enhance their knowledge.
- After implementation of the plans in each component, the Aarupadai Veedu Medical College & Hospital (AVMCH) team will also provide support in monitoring and evaluation of the same by guiding the technical personnel who can be hired by the Panchayat. AVMCH team will also help these technical nodal personnel in preparing the monitoring and evaluation report.
- Subsequently, a consolidated report will be prepared of all the experiences of the AVMCH team related to the development work in the clusters of the village.
Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital, Puducherry covers 5 villages main points of intersection as Pondicherry to Cuddalore. Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital through its various intervention programs are reaching out to 5 villages of the block covering a total population of approx. 30,000.
Steps of preparing Village Development Plan:
- Identification of the village and key persons for knowledge input
- Social Mobilization through hamlet meeting and village meeting.
- Conducting primary survey and secondary data collection.
- Analysis of data, identification of the problem, issues and potential Interaction with the villagers.
- Identification of agricultural mechanism for enhancing productivity, the available traditional technique for employment generation, increasing rural livelihood, improvement of basic facilities and improvement of quality of life.
- Obtained input from the key persons and preparation of integrated village development plan.
Based on the Household survey, Village survey and Gramsabha meeting the following problems were identified as priority issues faced by the villagers:
- The Borewell method is not in use. Need of water purification plant
- No proper drainage facilities in the Tsunami quarters area
- Need of sub-centres
- No communication during the disaster period
- No proper kids park
- No proper street lamps