The key vision of the department is to improve the patient’s quality of life, enhance self-confidence and thereby uplift their social and professional standing. We do this by restoring, reconstructing or altering the displeasing/damaged parts of the human body.
Though Plastic Surgery can be classified into multiple smaller categories, for clarity it can broadly be divided into 2 categories:
- Reconstructive Surgery
- Cosmetic and Aesthetic Surgery
Reconstructive surgery is done to repair injured/damaged parts of the body due to any cause like trauma, burns, malignancy, infection, inflammation, etc, This is done by use of various surgeries like microsurgery, hand surgery, craniofacial surgery, revision surgery, etc.
Cosmetic or Aesthetic Surgery is done to improve the appearance of patients who have deformed body parts, unsightly scars or even by molding parts of the body with which the patients is justifiably dissatisfied. It also involves anti-ageing procedures.
Though a lot of procedures are exclusive to plastic surgery it also complements and sometimes competes with other disciplines like Dental surgery, ENT, Dermatology, General Surgery, Surgical Oncology, Vascular Surgery, Orthopedics, etc.
Though plastic surgeons use general surgical instruments, there are specific instruments used mainly by plastic surgeons, like,
- Liposuction Apparatus
- Rhinoplasty instruments
- Operating microscopes of higher magnification
- Binocular loupes
- Fractional CO2 laser
- General Plastic
- Management of diabetic foot
- Management of ulcers of any origin involving the skin
- Skin malignancies
- Burns management
- Post-burns sequelae like contractures, disfigurement, deformities
- Hand injuries involving soft tissues, nerves, vessels, tendons
- Reconstruction of any defects caused trauma, malignancies, infection, inflammation, etc,
- Facio-maxillary injuries – both bone and soft tissues
- Hair loss treatment
- Gynaecomastia (enlarged male breast)
- Breast augmentation, reduction, reconstruction
- Ear lobe repair
- Acne scars management
- Keloid treatment
- Scar revision
- Congenital deformities