About The Department
The various activities can be grouped into teaching / academic, community health service, and research activities. Following are the regular teaching activities and services delivered by the department of Community Medicine.
- Teaching and training of MBBS students (I to VII semester) through theory, practical and clinical postings. The students are encouraged for active learning rather than by passive classroom teaching.
- Problem based learning for MBBS students in the community (rural and urban areas)
- Interns (CRRI) Training Program
- Weekly seminar/Journal Club in the department.
- The Department has been conducting regular field visits with the under graduate students to the field practice areas of the department for orientation and field based training of MBBS students. Students participate in various health activities of the local health institution like health talk on various public health issues. School health checks ups are also conducted in the field practice areas. Epidemiological exercises on various public health issues are undertaken by the students as part of their learning for epidemiology and biostatistics in the community.
- Health camps for general population and special groups are conducted routinely.
Special Medical Camp at“Pondicherry Central Prison”
A two day medical camp was organized by the Dept of Community Medicine, Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital, in collaboration “Sri Aurobindo Society”, for the inmates of the “Pondicherry Central Prison” as well as the staff on 12th and 14th May 2014. This was the first multispecialty camp ever conducted in this prison. About 100 prison inmates and staff were examined, investigated, and treated. Specialists from various departments (including General Medicine, Orthopedics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Psychiatry, Dermatology, and Dental) attended the camp. The experience was the first of its kind to interact with prison inmates for most of the doctors and nurses. Follow up camps are planned to be conducted at regular intervals in future.
Department of Community Medicine is located in the Teaching Block of AVMC & H. It has 14 rooms including laboratory, seminar hall, library and a museum. The department is attached to one urban (UHC, ChinnaKanganakuppam) and two rural health centers (RHTC, Manapet and RHC, Vandipalayam) in Pondicherry and Cuddalore, as field practice areas of AVMC & H for training of undergraduate and Nursing students. Apart from these 3 centres, there are 5 more satellite centres at various places of Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry.
Research activities :
Research is integrated with teaching of Community Medicine. The Undergraduate students do small projects and surveys as part of their clinical postings on community diagnosis.
Faculty members have undertaken several research projects on their respective fields of interest. At present about 5 ongoing research projects.
More than 30 research papers have been published in various national international journals by the faculty of Department of Community Medicine
|Dr. D. Arunachalam||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Associate Professor|
|Dr. J. Arun Daniel||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. T. Prasad||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. S. Kirubakaran||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Assistant Professor||
|Dr. Niranjjan. R||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Assistant Professor||
|Dr. Manikandan S||M.B.B.S.,M.D.,||Assistant Professor||
|Dr. N.Nishanthini||M.B.B.S.,M.D.||Assistant Professor||
|Dr. Subash Chandraboss||M.Sc.,P.hD.,Statistics||Lecturer|